Schedule an Appointment or call us at 423.236.2014
The Writing Center is your writing resource on campus. We offer one-to-one, individualized tutorial sessions for undergraduate and graduate students. Our writing tutors are dedicated, experienced peer writers who are CRLA certified, who excel at working with others in a professional academic environment, and who are trained in the writing process. Wherever you are in the writing process, regardless of the course or discipline, we can help.
What happens at a Writing Center appointment?
Each session with a writing tutor lasts 30-60 minutes. You and the writing tutor will read and discuss the piece of writing you are working on. By the time you leave the Writing Center, you should have a clearer sense of where you want to go next and some strategies to help you get there. Our writing tutors are happy to work with you on the following:
- brainstorming at the start of an assignment
- organizing your paper
- developing and sustaining an argument
- incorporating research and sources effectively
- citing sources accurately in MLA, APA, or Chicago style according to the manuals
- assisting you with grammar and punctuation
What should I bring to the Writing Center?
- The assignment sheet and rubric for the piece of writing that you are working on
- A hard copy of the piece of writing you are working on
How can I schedule an appointment?
To schedule a session, click here for the online scheduler. You will need to register for an account first. Once you have registered, you will be able to sign in and schedule an appointment at a date and time that works with your schedule. You may schedule an appointment up to the desired appointment time. You may make a 30-minute or 60-minute appointment. Please make sure that you come to a scheduled appointment on time. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you will be considered a no-show. If you miss three appointments, you will not be able to make an appointment online until you speak with the director. If you can't make it to your appointment, please cancel the appointment as soon as possible so that another student can schedule an appointment at that time. Walk-ins are also welcome, though scheduling sessions in advance is highly recommended.
If you would like to schedule an online appointment with the Writing Center, this tutorial will guide you through the process. Please note that online appointments are reserved for online students.
Winter 2017 Hours of Operation
- Sunday: 3:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Monday: 8:30 AM - 9:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:30 AM - 9:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 9:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:30 AM - 9:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
Writing Center Director