Alpha Mu Gamma Honor Society
Gamma Alpha Chapter History
The Gamma Alpha Chapter of the Alpha Mu Gamma National Collegiate Foreign Language Honor Society was founded more than 40 years ago in 1965 by eight charter members on the campus of Southern Adventist University in Collegedale, Tennessee. New members are inducted into the national honor society each year.
• Community service projects that benefit the Chattanooga area
• Sponsoring foreign-language film nights
• Translating and interpreting at health fairs
• Wrapping presents in local malls as part of a fundraiser for a children's nonprofit organization
• Organizing activities for festivals aimed at benefiting a children’s nonprofit organization
• Organizing a fund raiser concert for refugees based in Chattanooga
• Sponsoring multiethnic potluck events
Most recently, Gamma Alpha Chapter members collected food and clothing for a family in need living in the Chattanooga area. They also volunteered at a care facility for individuals with Alzheimer’s and memory loss, interacting with residents by making crafts, sharing smoothies, and listening to life stories.
Chapter members are enthusiastic about the continued growth of the Gamma Alpha Chapter and plan on having more cultural activities as well as community service projects in the near future.
Become a Member
- Be recognized for outstanding achievements in language study
- Meet others who share interest in languages
- Be part of the National Foreign Language Week
- Eligible for AMG scholarships through national headquarters
- Broaden your cultural horizon
- Will have completed by the end of the current term one full college academic year
- Received two grades* of “A” in college-level courses in a foreign language (ASL, Greek, Hebrew, etc.)
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in all completed college-level courses, exclusive of those offered to fulfill requirements for college-level courses in a foreign language
- Completed two final course grades of “A” in college-level English, English as a Second Language (ESL), or other non-native language (for natives of a non-English speaking country)
*Grades offered in satisfaction of the requirements above shall be the equivalent of two three-semester-hour college-level courses in the target language.
After reviewing the membership eligibility questions, you may fill out the Alpha Mu Gamma application or contact the Gamma Alpha sponsor at 423.236.2395 for a hard copy of the application and further information.
Current Gamma Alpha Chapter Officers
- President: Genesis Serrano
- Vice President: OPEN
- Social Vice President: OPEN
- Secretary: OPEN
- Treasurer: OPEN
- Sponsor: Adrienne Royo