Martin Klingbeil, D. Litt.
Professor of Biblical Studies and Archaeology
Associate Director, Institute of Archaeology
Office Location: 113 Hackman Hall
Office Phone: 423.236.2983
Martin Klingbeil grew up in Southern Germany and studied theology at Seminar Schloss Bogenhofen, Austria, and Helderberg College, South Africa. He continued with graduate studies at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, completing a BA Honours and MA in Semitic Languages, as well as a D.Litt. in Ancient Near Eastern Studies.
He joined the faculty of the School of Religion in January 2011, after serving as vice president of academic administration at Helderberg College in South Africa. Before coming to Southern Adventist University, he served the Seventh-day Adventist Church for more than 16 years as professor and administrator in various countries, including the Ivory Coast, Bolivia, Argentina, and South Africa. He is an ordained minister and has pastored congregations in South Africa and Bolivia.
Dr. Klingbeil is married to Thandi Klingbeil, a homemaker and homeschool teacher to their three sons, Jonathan, David, and Matthias. The Klingbeils are an international and intercultural family and have followed God's call to mission service wherever He has led them.
Dr. Klingbeil is a member of a number of academic societies, is a named fellow of the Institute for Biblical Research, and also serves on various editorial boards for peer-reviewed professional journals. He has authored and edited a number of scholarly books and published in professional journals, dictionaries, and encyclopedias. A list of publications is available here . His research interest is in the area of metaphorical language in the Hebrew Bible and its relationship with iconographic sources from the Ancient Near East.
Education and Degrees:
- D.Litt. in Ancient Near Eastern Studies - Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- MA in Semitic Languages and Cultures - Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- BA Honours in Semitic Languages and Cultures - Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- BA in Theology - Andrews University
- Adventist Theological Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Institute for Biblical Research
- American Schools of Oriental Research
Undergraduate Classes Dr. Klingbeil Teaches:
- Biblical Hebrew I and II
- Intermediate Hebrew
- Introduction to Biblical Exegesis
- Old Testament Studies II
- Topics in Biblical Studies: Seeing God through the Psalms
Graduate Classes Dr. Klingbeil Teaches:
- Studies in Daniel
- Archaeology and Biblical Interpretation