Once you have been accepted to the Southern Scholars honors program, it is your responsibility to obtaining Scholars advising; to fill out Southern Scholar scholarship application; to complete a course planning worksheet at the end of each semester; and during the senior year complete the Southern Scholars senior project form.
Ongoing Membership Requirements
To continue as a Southern Scholar, a student must fulfill the following conditions:
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits each semester or a total of 31 credits per calendar year.
- Enroll in the appropriate honors sequence courses and receive a 3.00 average or higher in them.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 in all course work.
Should a Southern Scholar fall below the standards defined above, he/she will be notified
by letter of probationary status in the program.
Students must also abide by the following conditions:
- Complete all college work within a four-year period. (Exceptions may be granted for extenuating circumstances, such as a double major, teaching certification, student missions involvement, or other reasonable requests.)
- All courses in the honors sequence must be taken in residence; students requesting an exception must petition the Honors Faculty Committee for approval. Petitions should be sent to email@example.com to be added to the Committee Agenda.
Probation and Expulsion From the Program
If a student is on probation, he/she will be eligible for reinstatement in good and regular standing in the program after completing a semester of studies and attaining the standards above. Only two semesters of probationary status will be permitted before a student is dropped from the program. Students on probation do not receive any financial benefits of the program.
Any student whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 will be automatically dropped from
also, any student whose cumulative GPA is below 3.50 just prior to the senior year will be dropped from