Title IX and Preventing Sexual Harassment/Violence on our Campus
TITLE IX POLICY
In compliance with Title IX of the U.S. Higher Education Amendments (1972), Southern does not discriminate on the basis of gender. In addition to gender equity in sports, Title IX prohibits sex-based discrimination in education. It addresses gender-based discrimination and sexual violence (whether student to student, student to employee, or employee to employee). Sexual violence includes attempted or completed rape or sexual assault, as well as sexual harassment, stalking, voyeurism, exhibitionism, verbal or physical sexuality-based threats or abuse, and intimate partner violence.
SOUTHERN ADVENTIST UNIVERSITY is committed to abiding by the following Title IX guidelines:
1) Appointment of Title IX Coordinator
Title IX Coordinator
Andrew Myaing, Director of Risk Management
2) Offer clear communication across campus about our policies related to sexual misconduct (see related policies below).
3) Provide adequate and appropriate training to students and employees on sexual violence prevention, awareness, and how individuals should proceed if they experience or encounter a situation involving sexual misconduct.
Title IX and Harassment Avoidance On-line Course for all new employees and on an ongoing basis (see HR for more information)
President’s Message: For Students, Message for Employees:
Given our institutional responsibility under Title IX regulations and our commitment to creating a respectful campus environment, all Freshmen and Transfer students, as well as new employees are asked to complete an online course whose topic includes gender based harassment and discrimination. The course focuses on the prevention of and the responsibility our university has once it has received a report of sexual misconduct. It will also provide important information on what to do if you become aware of such activity. Contact our Title IX Coordinator if you have any questions about the course.
4) Ensure that prompt and equitable grievance procedures for responding to reports of sexual discrimination are followed.
- Christian Standards and Conduct (Policy 2010)
- Harassment of Employees and Students (Policy 2020)
- Sexual Misconduct Policy (Policy 2030)
- Full version as it applies to students and employees: http://www.southern.edu/administration/student-services/TitleIX.html
- Retaliation Policy (Policy 2040)
- Grievance Procedure (Policy for Hourly Employees 3060)
- Grievance Procedure (Policy for Salary Employees 4040)
- Grievance Procedure (Policy for Faculty 5080)