Michael G. Hasel
Michael G. Hasel
School of Religion
Professor of Near Eastern Studies and Archaeology
Director, Institute of Archaeology
Curator, Lynn H. Wood Archaeological Museum
Dr. Hasel has been with the School of Religion since 1998, specializing in Old Testament,
Near Eastern studies and archaeology. In 1995-96 he was the Samuel H. Kress Fellow
at the W. F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research in Jerusalem. In 2005 he
served as a Senior Fulbright Scholar at the Cyprus-American Archaeological Research
Institute (CAARI) in Nicosia, Cyprus funded by the U.S. Department of State.
His articles and book reviews have appeared in Andrews University Seminary Studies, Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research, Göttingen Miszellen, Journal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections, Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, Theologika, and Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft. He was a contributor to The Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible and has written several scholarly books including: Domination and Resistance: Egyptian Military Activity in the Southern Levant, 1300-1185 BC (Brill, 1998); and Military Practice and Polemic: Israel’s Laws of Warfare in Near Eastern Perspective (Andrews University Press, 2005). He is currently completing his fourth book entitled The Name Equation: Eastern Mediterranean People, Places, and Polities during the Egyptian New Kingdom.
The Lynn H. Wood Archaeological Museum was inaugurated on the campus of Southern Adventist University in 2004. As curator of the museum, Hasel was responsible for planning and displaying over 220 art and objects from the ancient Near East in a state-of-the-art exhibit entitled: “Vessels in Time: A Journey into the Biblical World.”
Dr. Hasel has participated and served in administrative capacities on nine different excavations in the Middle East including Gezer, Ashkelon, Dor, Miqne-Ekron, Hazor, and Masada in Israel, at Idalion, Cyprus, and Jalul in Jordan. Currently he serves as a Director of the Khirbet Qeiyafa excavations, where the oldest known Hebrew inscription was found in 2008.
He has lectured widely speaking on university campuses, international symposia, professional meetings, and church meetings throughout North and South America, Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.