As a faculty member, you have the opportunity to encourage your students to engage in service opportunities in our community. Included below are helpful tips about community service and service learning make advising easier.
If your student organization/department is sponsoring a community service event that is 3-5 hours, you can submit an application to have that project count toward their Christian Service Program requirement.
Application - Email this form to the Christian Service director at least one week prior to your community service to receive credit. You will be notified within 3 days of submitting your application whether or not your event has been approved.
- Roster - Send the hard copy of this roster to the Christian Service director within a week of your service event.
To offer your course for service-learning credit you will need to submit a proposal form for the Christian Service Committee to review.
- Proposal- Email this form to the Christian Service director along with your syllabus and any documents explaining and assessing your reflection component(s) during the first semester prior to the school year that you plan to implement your course. This will allow enough time to make the necessary changes in the catalog.
Students also have the opportunity to create their own service-learning projects. This option requires a faculty mentor that will help shape the project leading them from proposal to completion. The necessary forms and guidelines are listed below.
- Service-Learning Reflection Example- Attached are a few tips that can be used to guide your student through the Service-Learning project.
- Proposal- Students need to submit a hard copy of this proposal form to the Christian Service office at least two weeks before they begin this project to allow time for the proposal to be presented and approved by the Christian Service Committee.
- Journaling Guidelines- Students should keep a journal of their experiences regularly throughout their service project.
- Reflection Paper Guidelines- After the project is complete, students should write an in-depth reflection of the span of their service experience.
- Journaling and Reflection Paper Rubric- This is how the journal and reflection paper will be assessed. Feel free to change this according to your project.
- Community Partner Evaluation Form- It is important to obtain feedback from the organizations we are serving so that we can improve on how we are meeting their needs.