Center for Innovation and Research in Computing
The goal of the Center for Innovation and Research in Computing (CIRC) is to enhance student learning in the School of Computing by engaging students in real-world development projects. By paying students to work on these projects, CIRC will provide students with the opportunity to fund their education through on-campus, computing-related work (similar in nature to computing internships).
CIRC works with various industry and community partners as well as with Southern Adventist University on programming projects of various sizes. A wide range of technologies are used for development, including Android, iOS, PHP, C#.NET, and C++. Typically, CIRC works on specialized projects that don't fit neatly inside one of the many generalized software solutions that are available on the market today.
CIRC is guided by the following objectives:
- Stimulate creativity and innovation through extracurricular projects
- Enrich students’ educational experience
- Collaborate with industry and community partners
- Support faculty research
- Enhance faculty-student interaction
- Provide student employment within the computing discipline
Here are a few of the clients that CIRC has worked with in the past:
- Bake Crafters
- Collegedale Academy
- Department of Education of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
- Loma Linda Veteran's Association
- Pacific Press Publishing Association
- Southern Adventist University
- And more!
College and University Dialogue - Website Upgrade and Mobile Apps
ShareSynch is an iPad and iPhone application that lets users present and edit ShareHim presentations. In ShareSynch, users can download sermon materials, dynamically generate PDF documents of presentations, edit speaker notes in rich text, and swap the slide or speaker note language independently of one another. (Cocoa Touch, Objective-C, SQLite)
Devoted - Daily Devotional
The Devoted app was created for the Pacific Press Publishing Association and gives users the opportunity to easily read and share the Devoted Daily Devotional, which is also available online at the following link: Devoted Daily Devotional. (Android, Java, Cocoa Touch, Objective-C, SQLite)
Quality Enhancement Plan Website
The Quality Enhancement Plan website was built for the School of Physical Education, Health, and Wellness at Southern Adventist University. The site helps students and employees track their physical activity and make plans to improve their own physical health over time. (C#.NET, jQuery, MS SQL)
- A C++ API that allows for resumable downloads as well as status information during downloads such as speed, estimated time remaining, etc. (C++, Boost)
- An online academy enrollment application form with online payment and data export to Pearson PowerSchool. (PHP, Bootstrap, Oracle, MySQL, Stripe)
- An employee training and records website with database-entry creation and modification. (PHP, MS SQL)
- An Android application and mobile website system which allowed for uploading, conversion, and viewing of videos in an HTML5-friendly format as well as a custom chat interface for discussions between two people. (Android, Java, PHP, FFmpeg, jQuery Mobile, MySQL)
- A personal library content management system. (Cocoa, Mac OS X)
For more information about the Center for Innovation and Research in Computing or to inquire about project development, please contact:
- Siegwart Mayr, Lead Programmer/Analyst, at email@example.com or 423.236.2872.
- Dr. Tyson Hall, Director of CIRC, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423.236.2916.
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.