BS Sports Studies
Southern Adventist University offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Sports Studies. With a Sports Studies major, you can combine your in-depth knowledge of sports with another field, such as human performance, journalism, management, marketing, psychology, public relations and advertising, or recreation. Classes will vary with your chosen emphasis, but each option offers a unique experience to gain specialized skills and knowledge that will set you apart in your future career.
A degree in sport studies major gives you an understanding of sports performance and the factors that affect behavior in sport. You gain subject-specific knowledge in areas such as physiology, psychology, biomechanics and nutrition.
The degree provides a large set of skills that can be used in lots of different careers. These transferable skills include:
- research and data analysis;
- ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team;
- presentation and oral communication skills;
- written communication skills, including report writing;
- time management and planning;
- effective problem-solving;
- professionalism and customer focus;
- a good understanding of information technology.
People are becoming increasingly conscious about the importance of exercise and sports as vital elements to maintaining and improving their own personal health. Interest in sports as a whole has become so great that industry experts estimate the size of the global sports industry at $1.5 trillion dollars worldwide -- making sports one of the largest industries in the world.
Be advised that some areas of Sports Studies require post graduate degrees. The Sports Studies degrees top emphasis areas by Southern Adventist University majors are:
- Sport Management, Athletic Director High School or College level - $57,000 - $90,200
- Sports Marketing – Development Director $96,000 / Event Coordinator $58,000
- Public Relations – Sports Information Director $40,000 / Public Relations Coordinator $40,000
- Psychology – Sports Psychologist (Doctorate Degree) $90,000 / Athletic Counselor $90,000 (BS Degree)
- Recreation – Recreational Coordinator $44,600 / Youth and Sports Director $45,601
- Human Performance – Sports Medicine Specialist Doctoral Degree $241,000 / Physical Therapist (Doctoral Degree) $79,860.
BS in Sports Studies Sequences
- Course Sequence 2018-2019
- Course Sequence 2017-2018
- Course Sequence 2016-2017
- Course Sequence 2015-2016
- Course Sequence 2014-2015
- Course Sequence 2013-2014
Please check with the Catalog to verify that all class requirements have been met.
- Human Performance
- Public Relations or Advertising