Questions about university-owned rental housing? You've come to the right place.

How do I apply for university rental housing?

1. Apply to Southern and receive an ID number.

2. Arrange a satisfactory budget with your assigned financial counselor.

Prospective Students
prospectivefinance@southern.edu  |  423.236.2812
Graduate Students
gradfinance@southern.edu  |  423.236.2877
Undergraduate Students
studentfinance@southern.edu  |  423.236.2535 

3. Apply online using the university rental housing application » 

Is a housing deposit required?

A $250 housing deposit is required for graduate students. The $250 commitment deposit paid by undergraduate students will serve as your housing deposit.

How do I pay for university housing?

Your rent is charged three times per year at the beginning of fall, winter, and summer semesters. The amount can be paid in monthly installments by signing up for a payment plan at www.southern.edu/pay, or you may make arrangements with Student Finance.

Are pets allowed in university housing?

No. Pets are not allowed in any student-housing units. 

What is the process for approval of an emotional support animal in student housing?

Obtaining approval to have an emotional support animal (ESA) in student housing is a two-step process that involves determination of whether a student qualifies for an ESA and approval of the animal. Disability Support Services processes all requests. Approval must be obtained in writing before the student moves into housing. Complete information and forms are on the Disability Support Services website.

Am I charged a full month if I am in university housing for a partial month?

No. Charges begin the day you pick up the key and end the day of your final walk through and key return.

Whom should I contact if I have financial questions?

Prospective Students
prospectivefinance@southern.edu  |  423.236.2812 

Graduate Students
gradfinance@southern.edu  |  423.236.2877  

Undergraduate Students
studentfinance@southern.edu  |  423.236.2535

Will my apartment have gas and electric utilities?

University apartments are all-electric except Winding Creek Apartments, which have gas and electric.

Are utilities included in rent?

Water is included in the rent for all student housing. Students assume full responsibility for electric and gas bills and must secure service in their own name. Deposits with respective utility companies are required.

Winding Creek residents may choose a rent-plus-utilities option. See southern.edu/housing for rates.

Are housing units furnished?

All housing units managed by the family housing office are unfurnished. Limited furnishings are available. View furniture options and rates »

How will I receive U.S. mail?

Most residents obtain a post office box at the Collegedale Post Office (near the Village Market) in Fleming Plaza. Winding Creek Apartments have mailboxes onsite.

Once I arrive on campus what is the check-in process?

1. Sign a rental agreement and pick up keys from the housing office on the second floor of Wright Hall.

2. Do a walk-through of housing with university personnel before moving in.

3. Transfer electricity and gas into your name. All utilities will be on when you arrive.

What should I do if I arrive on campus when the housing office is closed?

If you plan to arrive on campus on the weekend or after office hours, make prior arrangements by emailing Cindi Young or calling 423.236.2816.

Where will I park?

Parking is provided for two personal vehicles. Neither should exceed the size of a pickup truck.

All resident vehicles are required to display a parking permit. Permits may be obtained online at the Campus Safety website.

Repairing vehicles in the housing or parking areas is not permitted.

If no university housing is available, what are my options?

We maintain an updated list of rental properties in the local area for your convenience. The Area Housing List is provided as a courtesy and should not be considered a university endorsement of the properties or owners. Exercise discretion, as you would with any public listing.

jeff Questions?  |  Cindi Young    |    cindiyoung@southern.edu  |    423.236.2816