Have a question about living in residential housing? Find answers here!

How do I apply for residential housing?

A commitment deposit of $250 must be paid to the cashier by May 1 (for fall semester) or November 16 (for winter semester) to be eligible for residential hall housing.

All students applying to live in residential housing must also complete and return a housing application which can be found on your Enrollment CheckList.

What are the age requirements for living in the Residence Halls?

Single students under the age of 23 who are enrolled for more than three semester hours and who do not live with their parents or legal guardians must live in the residence halls. Exceptions are made for students who have completed a bachelor's degree or four years of college. 

While the residence halls are designed for currently enrolled undergraduate students under 24 years of age, those who are 24 to 29 years of age may live in the residence halls if space permits, but only after all students under the age of 24 are placed.

How much does it cost to live in the residence halls?

Rooms in all residence halls are double occupancy. A resident rents only one half of the room; therefore, unoccupied spaces may be filled at any time. It is imperative, then, that you occupy only one side of the room. Providing there is space, you may elect to room by yourself. In this situation rent is charged at 1.5 times the regular room rent.

For current room rates please contact the following:

Women - Email thatcherhousing@southern.edu

Men - Email talgehousing@southern.edu  

Do I need to be enrolled to live in the residence halls?

Yes. A student who lives in the residence hall must be registered in classes at Southern Adventist University. Anyone who drops all their classes will need to make living arrangements outside of the residence hall.

Exceptions to this policy must be cleared though the residence hall deans and Student Finance. 

I'm a new student; how do I find out whom I will be rooming with?

Women may email ThatcherHousing@Southern.edu to inquire about and request contact information regarding your assigned roommate.

Men may email TalgeHousing@Southern.edu 

Am I eligible to live in Southern Village?

Please contact SVDeans@Southern.edu to inquire about current Southern Village eligibility requirements. 

Am I eligible to live off campus?

Students may submit a request to reside off campus if they are 21 years old and have earned 94 credit hours (senior status). 

If you meet these criteria and are interested in submitting a request to reside off campus, click on this link.

Can I request to room alone?

Yes. However, single occupancy is granted by request only if the space is available. Single occupancy is also assigned by seniority.

Please note that rent for single occupancy is 1.5 times the double occupancy room rent.

For current room rates please contact the following:

Women - Email ThatcherHousing@southern.edu 

Men - Email TalgeHousing@southern.edu 

The student must have prior written parental consent by email
and approval from Student Finance also by email.

You may email ThatcherHousing@southern.edu for women and TalgeHousing@southern.edu for men to request to room alone.

How do I request to change my room assignment?

During the Summer

If you currently have a room reservation for the upcoming semester and you would like to request a change, you may email ThatcherHousing@Southern.edu for women and TalgeHousing@Southern.edu for men.

During the Semester

After the first two weeks of the semester, you may request to change rooms by contacting the Housing Office in your building. Moves must be completed in two days (not including Sabbath), or you will be charged for two rooms.

Please note that moves will not be granted for reasons of race, religion, or national origin. Changes made without this approval may result in additional charges.

When is the deadline to pay my commitment deposit?

The commitment deposit of $250 must be paid to the cashier by May 1st for the Fall semester or November 16th for the Winter semester. This deposit must be paid prior filling out the Housing Application and reserving a room. If your deposit is received after this date, Southern will accommodate your housing request based on availability.

Deposits can be paid in person to the cashier in Wright Hall or by phone at 1-800-SOUTHERN.

How do I request a commitment deposit refund?

If you are not returning or have graduated, you may request that your commitment deposit be refunded back onto your account by emailing housing@southern.edu.

If you have paid the commitment deposit and do not attend or return to Southern the deposit becomes non-refundable on June 1. Please see the full commitment deposit refund policy in our catalog.

Who handles inquiries about summer housing for students?

For requests before May 1, email the following:

Women's Housing email - Dean Pennington at ThatcherHousing@Southern.edu 

Men's Housing email - Dean Erhard at TalgeHousing@Southern.edu 

After May 1, contact the following:

Women's Housing - email Aubrey Wallin or call 423.236.2902.

Men's Housing - email Lisa Patterson or call 423.236.2990.

Questions?  |  Susan Pennington    |    housing@southern.edu  |    423.236.2222