Submitting an Off-Campus Housing Request
The total social and educational program at Southern is based on the premise that this is a residential university, not a commuter institution. The campus provides two residence halls; Thatcher Hall for women and Talge Hall for men. Another option for upper classmen is apartment living in Southern Village.
Single students under the age of 23, who are enrolled for three (3) or more semester hours, and do not live with their parents or legal guardians, are required to live in the residence halls. Exceptions are made for students who have completed a bachelor's degree or a total of 124 credit hours.
Who may apply for an exception to live off campus?
- Students may request an exception to live off campus if they are 21 years old and have earned 94 credit hours (senior status).
- The three previous semesters should reveal no violations of the code of conduct and having met worship-attendance expectations.
- Not be on citizenship probation.
- If an exception is made, it applies only to the current year.
- You will need to re-apply for each subsequent academic year.
- If approved to live off campus, you are expected to abide by the standards and codes of conduct as outlined in the Student Handbook.
To submit a petition to reside off campus, you will need to pick up an application from the Student Development Office (located by KR's in the Student Center). If you have any questions, please contact us at 423.236.2814.
Move off campus
- A student must fill out an off-campus housing request
- Parental approval must be submitted directly to us from the parents along with a phone number and email address where they can be reached. The approval must include specifics regarding the residence requested and reasons an exception to the policy is being requested.
- Invitation from the person(s) you are wanting to live with. Must include the address, names of all who reside there, amount of rent you will personally be responsible for and what all utilities that includes.
Returning to parents residence
- A student must fill out an off-campus housing request. Please do this if you've have been living in the residence halls and are moving back with your parents.
- Parents must submit a letter stating that you are moving back home with them full-time, along with a copy of mom and dad's local Tennessee or Georgia drivers license that shows the current address (which needs to match the address you are applying to move to) along with a signed letter of intent. Address may not be further than 30 miles from the University. Parents must be living with student 100% of the time and the location is their primary residency.
Dates the committee will be meeting:
|Apr. 9, 2019||Fall 19 (packet completion deadline - April 5th by 12pm)|
|Jul. 23, 2019||Fall 19 (packet completion deadline - July 19th by 12p)|
|Dec 17, 2019||Winter 20 (packet completion deadline - December 13th by 12p)|
- A petition cannot be processed until all documentation has been submitted.
- All documentation requests and materials must be received by noon on the Friday prior to the date the committee will be meeting (see above dates).
- Students should hear back from the Committee within 72 hours following the meeting.
- Filling out an application is a petition on your part to move off campus but not a guarantee that you will be approved. Until you have heard from the committee, please plan to remain in the residence halls.
Questions? | Teri Reutebuch | email@example.com | 423.236.2814