Student Drivers

Students may transport passengers for a school-sponsored event if the driver is 21 or older. It is recommended that drivers have full coverage auto insurance (if driving a personal vehicle). Southern does not cover damage to personal vehicles used for school-sponsored events. Drivers must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.

Students may be approved to use university vehicles for school-sponsored events. For information about renting university vehicles, visit Transportation Services.

In the event of an accident involving a university vehicle

  1. Call Campus Safety at 423.236.2100.
  2. Report the incident to Risk Management at 423.236.2266.
  3. Do not leave the scene of an accident until declared to do so by law enforcement.