Southern has had at least three known school songs in the past (see images below). The last one titled "Collegedale Forever!" was written in the 1940's by two former students. Decades have passed since then and these songs are remembered with fondness by those who attended during those earlier years.
Several students recently expressed interest in composing a new school song reflecting the current university mission and culture for the purpose of inspiring school spirit and continued alumni loyalty. A contest has been developed as a result, which is open to students, alumni, and staff.
Here are the REVISED details -
A selected panel of alumni, students, and staff will judge submitted entries.
Deadline for entries is noon on Friday, Sept. 30, 2011.
- Original compositions - recorded and written formats submitted to the Alumni Relations Office, Rm. 211, Lynn Wood Hall (mailing address: PO Box 370, Collegedale, TN 37315)
- Musicality and ease for audience in learning music and lyrics
- Music and lyrics representative of the university standards and mission statement
- Contains references to university's past
- Contains elements inspiring school spirit/pride and continued alumni loyalty
Collaboration among multiple composers is permitted. Top entries selected will be performed live on campus (date, time and location to be determined). The new song may be introduced during Homecoming Weekend at the end of October. Credit and public recognition will be given to the selected composer(s).
Prizes will be awarded for top entries. For further information, contact Alumni Relations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 423-236-2830.