Dates: October 25-28, 2012
Theme: Celebrating the Past, Shaping the Future
Celebrate the 120th anniversary of Southern Adventist University with us this year! Graduates and attendees from all years are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Featured honor classes include:
1942, 1952, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1982, 1987, 1992, 2002
On-site registration will be held in the Collegedale Church Atrium during the following hours:
Thursday 1-4:45 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
Sabbath 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Worship services guest speakers:
Gary Thurber, '82 - Friday evening vespers, 8 p.m., Collegedale Church
Bob Folkenberg, Jr., '87 - Sabbath morning worship services, Collegedale Church
Other highlights include (but are not limited to):
Thursday, Oct. 25
- Showcase of Service and Philanthropy - 11 a.m., Iles PE Center - join students in discovering available service and philanthropic opportunities to make a difference for others on campus and in our communities
- School of Social Work and Family Studies - Lunch and Learn, Collegedale SDA Church fellowship hall. CEU credit available. Click here to RSVP and to learn more.
- Kick-off Banquet - 6 p.m., Wright Hall Dining Room (tickets are $18 pp and will be available for purchase from Alumni Relations in August). Honored alumni include: Golden Anniversary Class of 1962, John Thurber, James Gulley, and Thomas Wentworth. RSVP's required.
- E.O. Grundset Biology Lecture Series - 8 p.m., J. Mabel Wood Hall (Music Building), Ackerman Auditorium - Guest presenter: Dr. Gilbert Burnham, MD, PhD, '64 Southern alumnus, and professor at The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in the Department of International Health. Topic: "Elimination of Filarial Infections in Man: Inching Toward Eventual Success." Complimentary and open to the public.
Friday, Oct. 26
- Fiber Arts Workshop - 9 a.m.-noon, and 1:30-5 p.m., Rm. 320, Lynn Wood Hall. Enjoy working with others interested in needle craft projects (bring your own or do a quick project provided on-site).
- VW Plant Tours - 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m., or 1:30 p.m. - Complimentary, transportation provided, RSVP required. All three tours are filled up at this time.
- Inaugural Fall Colors Motorcycle Tour - 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Registration packets are available and may be requested from Alumni Relations. 150-mile loop route from campus through the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. Click here to see route map. Staging begins at 9 a.m. at the South end of the church parking lot. Rain date is Sunday, Oct. 28.
- WSMC-FM Open House and Vinyl Records Sale - 11 a.m.-3 p.m. To learn more, call 800.866.905.WSMC.
- Ladies' Luncheon - 12 noon, Collegedale SDA Church fellowship hall. RSVP's are required, complimentary tickets are available from Alumni Relations.
- Gentlemen's Picnic Lunch - 12 noon, Student Park Pavilion. Complimentary, RSVP's are requested.
- Outdoor Education Activities - 1:30-3:30 p.m. Ride the zip line, climb the tower, or brush up on outdoors primitive skills.
- Mark Twain Collection Celebration and Lecture, guest presenter: John Henley, 4:30 p.m., McKee Library, Knowledge Commons. Complimentary and open to the public.
- Affinity group suppers - Complimentary, but RSVP's are requested.
SMC-ites/So-Ju-Conians - 5 p.m., Collegedale SDA Church fellowship hall
So-Mi-Conians - 5 p.m., Presidential Banquet Room, 3rd floor, Wright Hall
BCU - 6 p.m., Garden Plaza, Greenbriar Cove, Ooltewah
Southern Scholars - 6 p.m., McKee Library, 2nd floor
Young-at-Heart Alumni - 6 p.m., Collegedale Academy 50's Diner
- Vespers - Gary Thurber, '82 - Friday evening vespers, 8 p.m., Collegedale Church Sanctuary. SAU Wind Symphony will perform the music.
Sabbath, Oct. 27
- Worship Services - Collegedale SDA Church sanctuary. Adoration: 8:45 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. Renewal: 11:45 a.m. (Bob Folkenberg, Jr., will speak for all three services.). SAU Bel Canto and Die Meistersing student choirs and Symphony Orchestra will perform the music.
- Alumni Potluck Lunch - 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Iles PE Center - Honor class pictures taken near stage between 1:30-2 p.m.
- Departmental Open Houses - 2-3:30 p.m., various locations around campus
- Sacred Gospel/Bluegrass Concert - 4:00 p.m., Collegedale Church, featuring Melanee Snowden Davis, '79, son Eric Davis, '11, and other alumni musicians. Complimentary and open to the public.
- Alumni Supper - 6 p.m., Iles PE Center - sandwiches, fruit salad, cookies, and drinks provided by the local Southern community and the Alumni Association.
- Class of 1987 Reunion Supper - 6 p.m., Presidential Dining Room, Wright Hall
- BCU Vespers/Gospel Choir Reunion - 6-8 p.m., Lynn Wood Hall Chapel
- Evensong Vespers - 6:30 p.m., Collegedale SDA Church, Sanctuary. Memorial concert honoring the life and professional accomplishments of Dr. Orlo Gilbert, orchestra conductor at Southern from 1967-2000, Open to the public. Alumni orchestra members interested in performing should contact Rhonda (VandeVere) Burnham, '79, by emailing email@example.com for more information.
Saturday Night, Oct. 27
- Southern Stories - 8:30 p.m., Iles PE Center, professional and amateur storytellers will help celebrate the university's milestone 120th anniversary. Door prizes and anniversary dessert will be provided. Complimentary and open to the public.
- Southern Shuffle 5k Race and 1-mile Fun Run/Walk - 9:30 p.m., campus course starts and ends in Mabel Wood Hall parking lot (online registration available here).
Sunday, Oct. 28
- Inaugural Beyond the Columns Brunch - 10 a.m., Ulmer Student Center (top level of Wright Hall). Welcome current seniors as incoming alumni. Networking/mentoring opportunities. New school tradition to be launched. Complimentary, but RSVP's are required.
- 9th Annual Antique/Classic Car Show - 11 a.m.-2 p.m., J. Mabel Wood Hall parking lot. Southern Smiths (student activity club) will demonstrate a working blacksmithing forge. Complimentary and open to the public.
Plan to come back to Collegedale to share in the fun and fellowship! Check back here often for updates as plans for activities are confirmed.
Class and affinity group leaders interested in helping to host reunions during Homecoming Weekend should contact Alumni Relations to coordinate activities and advertising. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 423.236.2830.
Campus shuttle vans are not being scheduled for this year due to lack of interest in this service during the past several years. If you have a specific campus transportation need, let us know and we will do our best to make special arrangements for assistance.
Due to the blessing of continued increases in student enrollment, we are unable to offer guest lodging on campus. We recommend making reservations at either of the following hotels located about two miles from campus at exit 11 from I-75 (upon request, both offer discounted rates especially for Southern alumni and campus visitors):
Hampton Inn - Chattanooga North
6145 Weir Way, Ooltewah, TN 37363
Holiday Inn Express
6274 Artesian Cir,Ooltewah, TN 37363
Please note that the RV park previously provided on campus was closed a year ago and will no longer be available. The university administration would like to be able to offer an alternate solution in the future, but at this time reservations will need to be made at other area campgrounds. This website link provides more information about some local camping options: http://lodging.uptake.com/camping/tennessee/collegedale/245859500.html
Let us know if we can be of further help as you make your travel and lodging plans.