Skip to main content
Home > Housing > Families > FAQ


Questions about university-owned rental housing? You've come to the right place.

To apply online for university housing, login using your Southern ID and submit the housing application form.

No ID number yet? To get a Southern ID, follow the instructions at 

Beginning May 1, 2015, a housing deposit is no longer required; however, at checkout time, cleaning and/or damage charges will be applied if necessary.

No. Pets are not allowed in any student-housing units.

The full semester of rent is charged on your student statement at the beginning of each semester (including the summer). Rent is due in full when billed, unless you arrange a payment plan.


No. Charges begin the day you pick up your key and end the day you have your final walk-through and turn in the key.

  Prospective Students  |  423.236.2812 
  • Graduate Students  |  423.236.2877 
  • Undergraduates—last name from A-K  |  423.236.2873 
  • Undergraduates—last name from L-Z  |  423.236.2837
    1. Sign a rental agreement and pick up keys from the housing office on the second floor of Wright Hall.
    2. Do a walk-through of housing with university personnel before moving in.
    3. Transfer electricity and gas into your name. All utilities will be on already. Water is paid for by the university.


    If you plan to arrive on campus on the weekend or after office hours, make prior arrangements by emailing Cindi Young or calling 423.236.2816.

    Students assume full responsibility for electric and gas bills and must secure service in their own name. Deposits with respective utility companies are required.

    Water is included in the rent for all student housing.

    University apartments are all-electric except Winding Creek Apartments, which have gas and electric.

    Parking is provided for two personal vehicles. Neither vehicle should exceed the size of a pickup truck.

    All resident vehicles are required to display a parking permit. Permits may be obtained online at the Campus Safety website.

    Repairing vehicles in the housing or parking areas is not permitted.

    Winding Creek Apartments have mailboxes on site for each apartment. Otherwise, residents obtain a post office box at the Collegedale Post Office (near the Village Market in Fleming Plaza).

    A few three-bedroom units are available each year. If you have a family requiring three or more bedrooms, you may apply for Southern housing and be put on the waiting list.

    We maintain an updated list of rental properties in the local area for your convenience.

    The Area Housing List is provided as a courtesy and should not be considered a university endorsement of the properties or owners. Exercise discretion, as you would with any public listing.