Skip to main content


Have a question about living in residential housing? Find answers here!

A commitment deposit of $250 must be paid to the cashier by June 1 (for fall semester) or November 16 (for winter semester) to be eligible for residential hall housing.

All students applying to live in residential housing must also complete and return the commitment deposit card.

Rooms in all residence halls are double occupancy. A resident rents only one half of the room; therefore, unoccupied spaces may be filled at any time. It is imperative, then, that you occupy only one side of the room. Providing there is space, you may elect to room by yourself. In this situation rent is charged at 1.5 times the regular room rent.

 2015-2016 Semester Rates

Thatcher/Thatcher South $1890 per semester
Talge $1890 per semester (suite)
  $1850 per semester (non-suite)
Southern Village $2042.50 per semester

Single students under the age of 24 who are enrolled for more than three semester hours and who do not live with their parents or legal guardians, must live in the residence halls. Exceptions are made for students who have completed a bachelor's degree or four years of college.

While the residence halls are designed for currently enrolled undergraduate students under 24 years of age, those who are 24 to 29 years of age may live in the residence halls if space permits, but only after all students under the age of 24 are placed.

Yes. A student who lives in the residence hall must be registered in classes at Southern Adventist University. Anyone who drops classes will need to make living arrangements outside of the residence hall.

Exceptions to this policy must be cleared though the residence hall dean, the vice president for Student Services, and the vice president for Enrollment Services. 

You may email to inquire about and request contact information regarding your assigned roommate.

Please contact to inquire about current Southern Village eligibility requirements. 

Students may submit a request to reside off campus if they are 21 years old and have earned 94 credit hours (senior status). 

If you meet these criteria and are interested in submitting a request to reside off campus, please email for more information.


Yes. However, single occupancy is granted by request only if the space is available. Single occupancy is also assigned by seniority.

Please note that rent for single occupancy is 1.5 times the regular room rent and the student must have prior written parental consent.

You may email to request to room alone.

During the Summer

If you currently have a room reservation for the upcoming semester and you would like to request a change, you may do so by emailing your request to

During the Semester

After the first two weeks of the semester, you may request to change rooms by contacting the Housing Office. Moves must be completed in two days (not including Sabbath) or you will be charged for two rooms.

Please note that moves will not be granted for reasons of race, religion, or national origin. Changes made without this approval may result in additional charges.

A PDF version of the commitment deposit card can be found here.

The commitment deposit of $250 must be paid to the cashier by May 1st for the Fall semester or November 16th for the Winter semester. This deposit must be paid prior to requesting and reserving a room. If your deposit is recieved after this date, Southern will accomodate your request based on availability.

Deposits can be paid in person to the cashier in Wright Hall or by phone at 1-800-SOUTHERN.

If you are not returning, have graduated, or have been approved to live off campus, you may request that your commitment deposit be refunded back onto your account by emailing

  • For Talge Hall (men's): Email Lisa Patterson or call 423.236.2990.
  • For Thatcher Hall (women's) or Southern Village: Email Elizabeth Hankins or call 423.236.2529.