Skip to main content
Home > Housing > Single Students > Living Off Campus

Requesting to Reside Off Campus

Students meeting certain criteria may request an exception to the residential requirement.

Southern is a residential university, and all undergraduate students under the age of 23 are expected to reside on campus. Freshmen and sophomores are required to live in the residence halls unless residing with their parents full time.

Who may request to live off campus?

Students may request to reside off campus if they are 21 years old, have earned 94 credit hours (senior status), and are graduating with a baccalaureate degree within two semesters. 

Application Process

To submit a request to reside off campus, please email with the following information:

  • the physical address of where the student is requesting to reside
  • the names of all who will be residing at this address
  • your scheduled graduation date with your bachelors
  • how much, if any, rent will be charged 

The student must also submit a letter of consent from a parent or guardian to complete the request.

If you are planning to live with a local resident or family, a letter of invitation is required.

Off-Campus Housing meetings are usually held on the first Monday of the month. All requests and materials must be received by noon the previous Friday to be eligible for consideration.