Skip to main content
Home > Human Resources > For Students > Student Employment

Student Employment at Southern

What is the employment process?

Finding a Job
—We post job openings (from campus departments and local businesses) on the Student Job Board. When looking for a job, it’s important to know your class schedule since employers may need to fill specific time slots.

Starting Employment
—The hiring department gives you a Labor Assignment Request to be turned in to HR along with a few other forms you can complete in our office. You'll need original documents for identity and employment eligibility: a complete list may be found on page 5 of Form I-9 . We'll need to see one thing from List A or one each from Lists B and C., or Form I-94 for non-U.S. citizens.

Getting Paid
—Students are paid every other Friday. By default, students receive 25 percent of their earnings directly transferred to their personal bank account; the other 75 percent is applied to the student account at Southern. Students employed under the Federal Work-Study Program receive 100 percent directly to their personal bank account.

Changing Percentages—The default percentages can be changed. If you want to increase the amount applied directly to your student account, simply inform Human Resources. Decreasing the amount requires approval from your student finance counselor.