Skip to main content

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is designed to provide international students with F-1 visa opportunities for employment in their fields of study before or after graduation.

  • International students are permitted to engage in one year of OPT after achieving a degree.
  • An Employment Authorization Document from the USCIS is required in order to begin working. This is an identification card and should contain the student’s picture and dates of employment.
  • International students must have the EAD in possession before working at the site of employment. Working without the EAD is Illegal.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Maintain F-1 status for one full academic year
  • Proposed employment that related to field of study
  • Maintain valid F-1 status at time of application

What Do I Need to Apply?

Note: Please print your name and I-94 number on the back of the photo in pencil

  • $380 fee (money order made out to: Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services)

Note: Personal checks, cash, or any other form of payment will not be accepted.

Note: Complete Form I-765 the following way:

In Section 3 of the 765 Form please type the following:

Att: Kent Robertson – P.O. Box 370
Collegedale, TN, 37315

In section 16 of the 765 Form there are three brackets. Please fill them out the following way:

( C ) ( 3 ) ( B ) 

  • Copy of passport
  • Copy of I-94 Form
  • Copy of I-20 Form
  • Last EAD, if available and applicable

Applicant can begin employment only after an EAD card is received and only for the time period indicated on the card.

What Do I Do After Getting the Paperwork Done?

Please call 423.236.2808 to arrange an appointment to see Kent Robertson.

Have all the needed documents with you when you go to see Kent Robertson.