Computer and Network Acceptable Use
Conduct which violates the Acceptable Use Policy includes, but is not limited to:
- Conduct that violates policies stated in the Southern Adventist University Information Technology office Acceptable Use Policy
- Starting the computer from an external device, such as an external hard drive or USB drive
- Installing applications or modifying the configuration of the computer, its applications, and/or operating system
Kiosk computers support library research for Southern Adventist University students, faculty, and staff members. Web browsers on these computers may only access a specific range of library-approved websites, and there are restrictions on what applications may be run.
Accessing websites on these computers other than those approved by the library is a violation of the library’s Acceptable Use Policy.
Databases provided by McKee Library are for noncommercial, educational, or personal research purposes only. Commercial use of licensed materials is prohibited. Violation of this prohibition can result in loss of access for the entire campus.
- Limit uses to non-commercial, educational, or personal research purposes
- Not compile data/information found in a licensed resource into a separate database for public use
- Not facilitate unauthorized access by others (i.e., do not share your database account ID/password with others)
- Not engage in systematic downloading of licensed content (i.e., downloading entire issues of electronic journals and large-scale downloading from databases to create other collections of data)
- Comply with license terms associated with specific resources
- Not distribute copies of material to individuals or groups outside the campus community, unless the license for the resource specifically allows it
- Not share client software used to search licensed resources with individuals or groups outside Southern Adventist University’s campus
- Adhere to copyright law, as stated in Title 17 of the United States Code
- Give proper attribution when quoting from material
All McKee Library patrons are welcome to access our databases using one of the workstations in the library or through a laptop or handheld device connected to Southern's Wi-Fi network.
Off-campus access is limited to current students, faculty, and staff of Southern Adventist University, as stipulated in our database license agreements.
Note to Faculty
Most content providers consider data-mining or auto-crawling of their content as an inappropriate use. If you are planning a project that requires data-mining or auto-crawling any library database, please contact Donald Martin to obtain permission before starting such activity.