Circulation Department Policy
McKee Library serves Southern students, faculty and staff, other library card holders, and visitors. The library is open to all for in-house use, but the borrowing of materials is limited to the following:
- Faculty, staff, and their dependents age 14+
- Southern graduates (within 30 mile radius)
- Retired Seventh-day Adventist workers (within 30 mile radius)
- Part-time university employees (within 30 mile radius)
- Seventh-day Adventist pastors (within 30 mile radius)
- Other professionals: $25.00 annually (within 30 mile radius)
Southern Adventist University's campus ID cards serve as library cards. Southern graduates, retired Seventh-day Adventist workers, part-time university employees, and other professionals must apply for a card at the library Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fees are payable at the library by check or cash only.
Loan periods and policies vary among types of materials, so it is important for patrons to check the due dates marked on materials that have been checked out.
Undergraduate students may borrow up to a total of 20 books. Graduate students may borrow up to a total of 50 books. Additional loans may be done with the approval of the Library Director or the Circulation Manager.
Unless otherwise notified, circulation periods are as follows:
- Fall / Winter—28 days
- Summer—Seven days
- Media items that can be checked out—Seven days
- iPads—14 days
The staff at the Circulation desk are able to explain specific borrowing guidelines and policies about books.
The following library materials do not circulate:
- Special Materials
- Rare Books
- Reference works
- Materials from the Center for the Study of 19th Century America, which include the
- Domestic Science and Cookery Collection
- Duane and Eunice Bietz Collection
- Origins and Biology Collection
- Seventh-day Adventist Heritage and Apocalyptic Studies Collection
- Thomas Memorial Collection
- French Collection
Course reserves are specific books and articles which have been set aside by teachers for classroom purposes. Course reserves are located at the Circulation desk. Some may be checked for two hours in the library, while others may be checked out for three days. There is a fine in case of failure to return a reserve item on time.
Late Reserve Item Fines
- Two-hour reserves—$ .50/hr
- Three-day reserves—$ 1.00/day
- One-week reserves—$1.00/day
The overdue process is as follows:
- Two courtesy notices are sent out notifying patrons of their overdue items (patrons are given a 14-day grace period, seven days in the summer).
- If an item is not returned during the 14-day grace period, a charge notice for the cost of the book or $40.00, plus a $25.00 non-refundable processing fee, is generated and sent to the borrower. Library privileges are suspended until the book has been returned or the charge has been placed on account.
- Upon return of the book, all charges except the processing fee will be refunded.
Please remember that books which include a CD must be returned as a set; failure to do so will result in a $5.00 fee for the missing CD.
Books may be renewed by following these steps:
- Log into McKee Library's Catalog using your Southern username and password.
- Click your name in the upper corner, then select "My Library Card."
- On the loans tab, select the renew link beside the items you wish to renew or select "Renew All." Please note that you can only use this renew option before the due date. If after the due date, please contact the circulation desk for assistance.
You can also bring your books to the front desk for renewal. Graduate students may renew one time by email or phone. A maximum of two renewals is allowed.
Any item may be recalled at any time if a faculty member needs the item to be placed on reserve.
Hold requests may be placed for materials in the library collection as well as items that are currently checked out. A patron may place a hold request through the following process:
- Log in to the library catalog.
- Locate the work you are interested in and select the title.
- Under "Get it," select "Request" on the "Request Options" tool bar. Submit the request.
- You will receive an email when the item is ready for you to check out at the Circulation desk.
A request may also be placed at the Circulation desk. The item is held at the front desk for seven days. If a patron returns an item with a hold request placed on it, that patron may not renew it.
The borrower must notify the library of lost or damaged items and will be charged for the costs of repair or replacement.
All information about individual library users and their choices of research or study material is held in strict confidence. Tennessee state law protects the confidentiality of library records. We ask that patrons help us protect these rights by not asking for this type of information.
Please contact Mica Myers for additional information.