How to Dine Fine on a College Dime
I mean dine finnnnee. Dine fine now. Dine fine when you’re thirty-two, fifty-nine, or broke in college! But let’s get real - healthy food is expensive! Try out these tips for budget buying and see how much you can save and still prepare healthy, college-friendly meals.
Frugal Eating Tips
- Set a budget and stick to it. If you can't stick to your pre-planned budget, try using the cash envelope method. Also, you will probably have to spend slightly more for healthy food. Just remember, your health is an investment, and you will pay for it now or later in future health care expenses.
- Make a list. List all the items that you need. Remember to get all your main macros: fresh fruits and vegetables, carbs, and protein.Also, plan ahead and pick up the beverages and snacks that you want so that you avoid spending
- Scout Around. Get to know the prices of various items from different stores in your local area, and buy them at the best price. Also, if you have the means and the space, buy in bulk or from a wholesale outlet such as Sam’s Club or Costco.
- Carry a Basket instead of a Cart. Trust me, it works. You won’t spend as much time or money in the store for obvious reasons.
Grilled PB, Nutella and Banana Sandwich
Imagine biting through crisp slices of bread bursting with the gooey goodness of peanut butter, nutella and chunks of banana.. hungry yet? BET! This is a super simple recipe for a delicious snack, dessert, or cheat breakfast. This divine arrangement Does. Not. PLAY! It’s looking out for your appetite and your pocket. And, you can get all of these ingredients in the SAU cafe!!
2 Slices Whole Grain Bread
- Spread PB on one slice of bread and Nutella on the other
- Peel and slice the banana onto one of the slices of bread
- Slap the two slices together
- Eat the sandwich just like that!! ORRR Choose a grilling method to take it to the next level
- Foreman grill… because we all own one
- Preheat the skillet over medium heat
- Spray both sides of the sandwich with non-stick cooking spray and place in the skillet
- Toast for about 5 minutes on each side or longer based on your toasty wishes
- Make sure to cool the sandwich for a bit before you bite into it so that you don’t temporarily singe you taste buds
- Oven and foil
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Place the sandwich on the foil and pop it into the oven
- Toast the sandwich for 5 minutes or longer depending on you crispy preference!
- Allow the sandwich to cool for a bit so you can actually enjoy it
blog comments powered by Disqus