Ebeye, Marshall Islands - Ebeye SDA School
Teach students on the island of Ebeye who need to hear the love of God.
This island is an adventure. A K-12 school with over 300 students. Beautiful sunsets and glorious starry nights. You can travel almost anywhere on a bike and can enjoy the wonderful singing of the kids playing in the street. Ebeye is home to all the people who work on the nearby island of Kwajalein. Being a missionary here isn’t like being a typical missionary on a tropical island. The Marshallese people are some of the nicest, most welcoming people you’ll ever meet. The crime rate on this island is almost 0%. This location is perfect for anyone looking for an adventure of a lifetime.
- Average Fundraising Goal: ~$3,300. Prices may vary. See Student Missions Office.
- Timeline: Full year and Semester options are available. The school year starts in August and ends in May.
- Location: Ebeye is a very small island located in the Marshall Islands. It is approximately83 acres in size with 15,000 people living on this island. Over 80% of the people are under the age of 18. There are beautiful sunsets but if you are looking for a beautiful beach island, this isn’t it. Ebeye is located directly next to a US military base called Kwajalein. Luckily, the mail comes within a reasonable amount of time in this location (not more than 2 months). The weather is tropical with temperatures never passing 100 degrees. It can be very rainy and very hot often. Snorkeling can be accessed on the outer islands as well. Check out the location on Google Maps!
- Living Accommodations: Missionaries live with 1-3 other staff in an apartment. The apartments are small, generally two rooms with one bathroom. It is a simpler life so you don’t have all the things you would usually have. The apartments are a small walking distance from the school.
- Language: Nearly everyone speaks English as a second language, but they also speak Marshallese.
- Food: You will find lots of rice, rice, and rice on this island. There is lots of processed food and it can be hard to find fresh fruit or vegetables, but if the ship comes in with produce, missionaries have access to it.
- Requirements: Visa, upon arrival. Education Majors are recommended (it would help with teaching)
(Click to enlarge)
Ebeye SDA School
Cameron Reel ('19-'20)
Interested in Ebeye?
Apply for your preferred position at least four months before you plan to serve, though spots may be available up until a month before departure.