Disability Support Services
The Disability Support Services department is available to discuss with students and professors, the impact online classes have on students with accommodations, Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 a.m. until noon for the remainder of the semester.
To schedule an appointment, please email DSS@southern.edu with your phone number. For urgent matters, in addition to an email, please call the DSS Office at 423-236-2544. If unable to reach the office, please leave a voice message with your name and phone number and your call will be returned.
DSS STUDENTS -
* Make sure you have access to online classes.
* Make sure you have access to all the material presented for your classes.
* Arrange your courses in order of difficulty level and break tasks into clear, manageable steps.
* Make a list of all your assignments for each class and write it all in your planner.
* Create email folders for each of your classes and as emails come in, put them in the corresponding folders.
* Be sure to work on your classes every day, you may find that you need more time to learn the content.
* If you receive accommodations and find that you need something different, let's talk about it sooner than later.
* Be sure to remind your professors about your accommodations.
* Online classes can feel isolating, it's important you keep exercising.
* Virtual appointments during office hours coming soon.
Disability Support Services (DSS) facilitates equal access to Southern’s learning community for students who have documented disabilities or suspected learning differences. DSS promotes student responsibility and self-advocacy and provides relevant information to faculty and staff with Christ-like support and compassion.
Disability Support Services is located on the first floor of Lynn Wood Hall, Suite 1082.
Disability Services Administrator: Mariella L. Pechero
Regular office hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. - 11 a.m., 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Summer office hours:
Monday - Thursday: 8:45 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Friday: 8:45 a.m. - 12 p.m.
TSP Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Southern is in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973)
and is dedicated to the elimination of architectural and prejudicial barriers which prevent any
qualified person from attending. Southern has established [Disability Support Services] to provide academic
disability services according to the provisions of applicable disability law"
(Southern Adventist University Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016).