The primary aim of the Writing Center is to help students become more confident, effective writers. Writing tutors work with writers of all levels and disciplines on a variety of assignments and projects, such as compositions, lab reports, research papers, resumes and job search correspondence, proposals, presentations, and creative writing.
A writing tutor may help students:
- Interpret an assignment sheet, talk through ideas for a paper or presentation, discuss course readings, or plan for a paper
- Consider choices with regard to audience, focus, purpose, reasoning, or organization
- Develop ideas with greater specificity
- Acquire research strategies, integrate scholarly sources, and apply proper documentation (such as MLA or APA)
- Improve student editing and proofreading skills, expand vocabulary, and better understand technical conventions of academic writing
- Current enrollment as a Southern student in good academic standing
- Completed at least one semester of college courses
- Meets the minimum GPA requirement of 3.0
- Received at least a B+ in ENGL 101 and ENGL 102
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Tutors will show respect for all tutees.
- Tutors will engage tutees so that tutees actively participate in tutoring sessions.
- Tutors will act in a friendly, yet professional way.
- Tutors will be on time and organized for all appointments, as an example to tutees.
- Tutors will regard all information in papers as confidential.
- Tutors will not cancel an appointment on the day of the appointment.
- Tutors will attend training sessions and mandatory meetings.
- Flexible schedule
- Position looks good on a resume
- Tutor is paid for all training
- Opportunity to become a CRLA certified tutor
- Tutors become stronger writers as critical thinking and writing skills improve
- It’s rewarding to have a part in other students’ success