Be a Tutor
Be a Tutor at the Writing Center
The primary aim of the Writing Center is to help students become more confident, effective writers. Writing tutors work with writers of all levels and disciplines on a variety of assignments and projects, such as compositions, lab reports, research papers, resumes and job search correspondence, proposals, presentations, and creative writing.
A writing tutor may help students:
- Interpret an assignment sheet, talk through ideas for a paper or presentation, discuss course readings, or plan for a paper
- Consider choices with regard to audience, focus, purpose, reasoning, or organization
- Develop ideas with greater specificity
- Acquire research strategies, integrate scholarly sources, and apply proper documentation (such as MLA or APA)
- Improve student editing and proofreading skills, expand vocabulary, and better understand technical conventions of academic writing
How to Apply
Request an application and interview with the director to apply.
- Current enrollment as a Southern student in good academic standing
- Completed at least one semester of college courses
- Meets the minimum GPA requirement of 3.0
- Received at least a B+ in ENGL 101 and ENGL 102
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Responsibilities & Benefits
- Tutors will show respect for all tutees.
- Tutors will engage tutees so that tutees actively participate in tutoring sessions.
- Tutors will act in a friendly, yet professional way.
- Tutors will be on time and organized for all appointments, as an example to tutees.
- Tutors will regard all information in papers as confidential.
- Tutors will not cancel an appointment on the day of the appointment.
- Tutors will attend training sessions and mandatory meetings.
- Flexible schedule
- Position looks good on a resumé.
- Tutor is paid for all training.
- Opportunity to become a CRLA certified tutor
- Tutors become stronger writers as critical thinking and writing skills improve.
- It’s rewarding to have a part in other students’ success.