Tutoring Center Policy
The Tutoring Center, located on the third floor of the library, offers free individual and group tutoring to any Southern student. The Center provides peer tutoring for more than 70 upper- and lower-division courses, as well as tutoring to help students with academic success skills and ACT preparation.
- All tutoring appointments are scheduled through our online scheduler, WCONLINE. Students will need to use their Southern email address to create an account and log in.
- Students may schedule either an online Zoom appointment or a face-to-face appointment.
- All tutoring appointments need to be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
- Tutoring appointments are usually 50 minutes in length.
- Students may schedule up to five appointments per week.
- Scheduled tutoring sessions take place in the Tutoring Center, as well as other public locations on campus.
- Students are expected to come prepared for the tutoring session with a textbook, syllabus, notes, assignment sheet, and any other necessary materials.
- Tutors are not permitted to complete homework assignments, quizzes, tests, or online assignments with or for students.
- Students who need to cancel a scheduled tutoring appointment must do so at least 24 hours in advance. If a student asks that an appointment be canceled on the day of the appointment, the student will be marked as a no show.
- If a student is more than 15 minutes late to an appointment, the student will be marked as a no show.
- If a student is marked as a no show three times, the student’s WCONLINE account will be disabled. The student will need to speak with the director or office manager to get the account reactivated.
Reports and Evaluations:
- After each appointment, the tutor will complete a report of the appointment. The student will receive an emailed copy of this report. The student can request that the report also be sent to a professor.
- In an effort to ensure the quality of our tutor programming, after each appointment, students will be asked to complete a short survey to request anonymous feedback on their tutoring experience.
For more information, please contact:
Sonja Fordham, PhD
Writing Center Director
Tutoring Center Director