Skip to main content
Home > Records > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of questions that are frequently asked by students. Click the question to view the answer. If your question has not been answered here, please contact Records & Advisement at 423.236.2899 or


If you're a current or accepted student, sign in, go to Academics at the top of this website, then click on Register for Courses.

You can view the available classes using the Course Schedule, and then you can add those classes to your course cart.

If you are a new student and do not currently have a website account to sign in to, you'll need to visit the Online Registration management page.

When you register, if there are any holds on your account, those must be taken care of before you are able to register.

  • Financial Hold -- contact the Student Finance office at 423.236.2894 or your finance counselor
  • Health Services Hold -- contact Health Services at 423.236.2713
  • Transcript Hold -- contact the Records main number at 423.236.2899 or Sandy Tucker at 423.236.2898
  • Prerequisite Hold or Other Holds -- contact the Records main number at 423.236.2899 or Tami Wery at 423.236.2397

If you’re interested in auditing a class, there are some important things to remember.

  • Students can sign up to audit a class only during the first week of instruction. In order to register for an audit class, students must visit the Records office during or before that first week. After the first week, it will be too late to change from credit to audit (or from audit to credit).
  • Auditing is allowed provided the student has approval from both the professor and the department or school. Students must also be qualified to take the class, and will be admitted only if there are places left after all other students who wish to enroll for credit have been accommodated.
  • Students taking nine or more undergraduate hours for credit may audit any additional classes for free (as long as the requirements have been met).
  • Students taking eight or fewer undergraduate hours for credit will be charged $370 per semester hour for any audited class, which is half of the regular tuition for 2011-2012.
  • For all audited classes, a grade of “AU” will be given at the end of the semester. Class attendance is expected but reports and exams may be omitted. No credit is given for an audited course.

Click Academics on the bar above and then click My Book List.

For both undergraduate and graduate students, if you've been gone for a semester or longer, or if you applied to Southern but never attended, please fill out the quick online Reactivation form. The form will notify all the necessary departments that you plan to return.

If you have never attended or applied, but you want to come to Southern, please fill out the online Application.

Add/Drop Forms must be used to add/drop classes after the first week of the semester.  It is mandatory that you obtain your adviser's signature as well as the instructor's signature of the class that you are adding/dropping.  If adding/dropping the class brings your credit load down below 12 credit hours, you are required to obtain your financial adviser's signature also. 

After you have completed the form and obtained all of the required signatures, please return the form to the Records and Advisement front desk.

To download the Add/Drop Form, click on the following link: Add/Drop Form (PDF).


Normal processing for paper transcripts is typically 1-3 business days, then sent either by regular mail or FedEx Overnight Delivery. PDF transcripts are typically sent within 1 business day.

Please be aware that this normal processing time is dependent upon whether you have any financial or loan holds. Those holds will delay the process, and if they are not taken care of within 30 days, your order will automatically cancel (you will be refunded any transcript fees if your order is canceled).

Yes. The Clearinghouse charges a $2.25 processing fee for each destination. The PDF surcharge is an additional $1.75 and the FedEx "Priority Overnight" delivery service is an extra $25 charge.

When you submit your order, a preauthorization charge will appear on your card, but your card will not be charged until the transcript has been sent. If for any reason the order is canceled, the charge will be automatically refunded to your card.


When you order your transcript online, you will be presented with the option to upload documents to be sent with your transcript. We accept PDF, JPG/JPEG, and DOC/DOCX file types.


Yes, the Clearinghouse is secure and FERPA-compliant. It is used by hundreds of schools across the country for transcript ordering. Your personal information will be kept safe. If you have questions or concerns, please visit the National Student Clearinghouse privacy commitment page.


You can track the status of your order. Just go to the National Student Clearinghouse main page, select Southern Adventist University and click Submit, and on the Welcome Center page, enter your order number and email address in the "Track Your Order" box on the right. The Clearinghouse will also keep you up-to-date with emails when your order status changes.


Yes, but not through the Clearinghouse. You will need to use the old paper form and fax or mail it back to Records & Advisement. To get the paper form, please contact our office at 423.236.2972 or 423.236.2921, or email


We are not able to send official transcripts if you have an outstanding financial obligation to Southern. However, you may receive your unofficial transcript by submitting the unofficial transcript request form, either in person at our office or by faxing/emailing/mailing the form (it can be found here on the Transcripts page).

Yes, official transcripts can be sent as a PDF to any email address. To make a request, follow the process beginning on the Transcripts page.

Yes. You can ignore the SSN box and just use your Student ID number. Make sure you include the other required information, like your name and birthdate. Please include a note in the "Special Instructions" box on the mailing info page that explains why you have not included a Social Security Number.

If you do have a SSN but do not want to include it because of concerns about your security and confidentiality, please refer to question 4. We prefer that you include your SSN so we can be sure that we have identified you correctly and are sending your transcript. Records & Advisement and the National Student Clearinghouse are bound by confidentiality laws and will not share your SSN.




Student Records

Go to the Parking Registration page and click either "Start Here" or "Log In Here" to start the parking permit registration process.

To add or remove a parent/relative from your grade access, follow these steps (make sure you're logged in to the Southern site):

1. In the green bar at the top of the page, click on Academics>My Academic Profile.

2. Beside Information Access, click the Manage Access box.

3. If you see your parent/relative listed, click "Send Invitation to Create Account." If the box is gray, click Grant or Revoke Access to change grade and statement access.

5. You should see information on the left side of the page about grades and statements, with check boxes. You can check the boxes to allow access, or uncheck them to remove access.

If your parent /relative is not listed, contact the Records & Advisement office to fill out a permission form. Once we receive your form and add your parent/relative, you will be able to adjust their permissions online using the above instructions.

 Send an email with your name and ID number, along with your requested changes, to

Please fill out the Change of Legal Name request, either in person in the Records office, or here online.

In order for your name to be changed, please also provide a copy of the appropriate legal documentation, such as a marriage licence, divorce papers, or court orders. Social Security cards and passports are acceptable in some situations. Driver's licenses not acceptable for any name changes (except in the case of a misspelling in our records).

You may fax the documents to 423.236.1899, email them to, mail them to Records & Advisement, P.O. Box 370, Collegedale, TN, 37315, or you may deliver them in person to our office.

Undgraduate Students: use the Request to Change Major/Minor/Adviser online form. 

Graduate Students: use the Request to Change Graduate Degree/Emphasis online form.

You'll need to enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number as confirmation. If you are a foreign student or do not have a SSN, please enter "0000" as the verification code.

Other Questions

The Southern Adventist University catalog is only available online. The online catalog is easy to use and provides many advantages. It can be searched using key words in the search bar, and it's more interactive. Just click on the name of each course for a drop-down course description.

Catalog pages and course descriptions can be printed if you wish, but Southern will no longer provide an official printed catalog.

If you have questions about how to use the catalog, feel free to contact our office at 423.236.2899 and we can guide you through the catalog site. 

 Yes, Records & Advisement usually hires four to five student workers. When a position is free, it will be posted on the Human Resources website. Resumes and inquiries should be submitted to Joni Zier, director of Records. 

 The Student Finance office is on the main floor of Wright Hall, across from Records & Advisement.

 The Records & Advisement office is on the main floor of Wright Hall, across from Student Finance.