Frequently Asked Questions


Where do I Start Looking For a Job?

On- and off-campus job opportunities are posted on the online Student Job Board. When you find a position you're interested in, use the contact information in the listing to indicate your interest to the prospective employer. 

Do I need to be enrolled to have a student job?

To hold a student job at Southern, undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least six (6) hours of credit and graduate students in at least five (5) hours of credit. 

I got the job. What do I need to do next?

The hiring department will give you a Labor Assignment Request, which you bring to Human Resources (second floor of Wright Hall).

Then we'll ask you to submit the following forms in order to be paid: 
W-4 (federal tax withholding)
I-9 (proof of citizenship)
Direct Deposit Form 

How do students get paid?

Once you complete the W-4, I-9, and Direct Deposit form, you will be able to use your student ID card to clock in and out. Payroll is processed bi-weekly on Friday.

By default, students receive 25 percent of their earnings by direct deposit to their personal bank account. The rest is applied to the student account at Southern. For Federal Work-Study students, 100 percent is directly deposited to the bank account.

Percentages may be changed. To increase the percentage that goes to the personal bank account, contact your student finance counselor. To increase the percentage that goes to the student account, email Human Resources or call 423.236.2276

How much can I earn in a year?

A student may expect to earn $1,500 - $2,500 working part time on campus during the academic year. Some students have earned $5,000 or more in a school year. 

How many hours can I work per week?

U.S. citizens and permanent residents may work as many as 24 hours per week during the school year, and up to 38 hours per week during the summer. The suggested maximum workload is 20 hours per week.

International students may work only on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the school year and up to 38 hours per week during the summer.