Hawaii - Conference Youth Department
Reach the people, young and old alike, through the church and camp ministries across the islands of Hawaii.
Gain valuable experience as an assistant youth pastor or camp task force member on the beautiful islands of Hawaii. Get mentored and take a step that will launch your ministry forward faster and farther than you had ever imagined possible.
- Average Fundraising Goal: Prices may vary. $500. See student missions office.
- Timeline: Full year (9-12 months) is preferred, but may be flexible
- Location: Multiple churches and/or Camp Wai'anae across the Hawaiian islands. Check out the location on Google Maps!
- Living Accommodations: Apartment style living will be shared with other volunteers/task force workers based on gender. Some assignments will have housing provided by a host family where a room in their home will be made available.
- Language: English
- Food: Meals and food are the responsibility of the volunteer. A monthly living stipend will be provided for these expenses.
- Internet Access: WiFi will vary depending on location and lodging. Being in the US, you will likely have phone service in most locations as well.
- Assistant Youth Pastor – Assist local church and school leaders with ministry, programming,
and spiritual growth of their youth. This will include conducting weeks of prayer,
bible study, sermons etc. Assist the Youth Director with the planning, onsite, and
follow-up of various Conference Youth Department events including camps, rallies,
missions, etc. Act as mentor for youth in both morality and ministry. Plan with a
constituency with various cultural and traditional sensitivities. Follow direction
and support efforts of the Youth Director and local pastor. You will have weekly meetings
with both the local pastor and conference Youth Director. You will be mentored in
ministry and life! Get ready for the best opportunity future pastor could ever ask
- Requirements: Passionate about living and sharing the Gospel in creative and traditional ways. Experience with starting/developing ministries geared to youth and young adults, gifted and passionate for ministry: speaking, music, Bible study, etc. General computing skills. At least 2 years of college (Religion/Theology) with a 2.5 or higher GPA required.
- Camp Assistant - Duties include general landscaping and maintenance of the camp grounds.
Volunteer should be comfortable in a shop and landscaping shed with the ability to
inspect tools, keep things organized, follow instructions, etc. Other duties may be
assigned by the camp manager and are expected to be completed in the given timeline. The
work environment is both indoors and outdoors.
- Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty with judgment, creativity, discretion, and use of intellectual ability. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability required, physical, and work environment. Some college education/experience is preferred, but an applicant with high school diploma; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Applicant must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions in English. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, maintenance instructions and procedure manuals in English. Ability to read labels and understand written instructions of use of equipment, cleaning packages or gardening products in English. Knowledge of basic math skills necessary. Ability to effectively present information to other employees and to suppliers and service personnel. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Applicant should also have the ability to stand and/or walk for several hours at a time. Must be able to spend long periods of time standing, walking, reading, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing and crawling. The employee must able to lift and/or move 50 pounds. The employee frequently works with tools and equipment. The noise level can be loud at times.
(Click to enlarge)
Hawaii Pastoral Internship
Meet previous interns from Hawaii's program
Group Short-Term Mission Trip - Different scenario, but gives a good feel for the campus and type of work you will do.
Interested in Hawaii?
Apply for your preferred position at least four months before you plan to serve, though spots may be available up until a month before departure.