The enrollment checklist says I've been selected for Verification. What does it mean?
About 30 percent of all FAFSA filers are selected for verification, which requires schools to collect documentation to check the accuracy of the information provided on a student's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If selected, the verification process must be completed before financial aid can be applied to your account.
If you have already completed your FAFSA and were selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you are required to complete the following:
- Complete the Verification Worksheet.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool by submitting a correction to your FAFSA (see directions in IRS Documentation tab).
- If you are unable to use the IRS Retrieval Tool, submit a tax return transcript.
If you are unsure of which form to complete, contact the Student Finance office at 423.236.2535. You may also reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.Email questions are monitored daily.
Completed verification documents must be submitted no later than the final week of the currently enrolled semester to ensure federal aid can be processed. Failure to complete the verification process will result in the loss of federal aid, in some cases, state and institutional aid as well.
1. IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- Go to http://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
- Sign in using your US Department of Education PIN.
- Click the "Make Corrections" Link.
- Click the Financial Tab.
- From this tab you will receive instructions about the IRS data retrieval process. Please note: to use this option the IRS must have received your completed tax return. Also, note the data must be unaltered once transferred to the FAFSA. Also be certain to complete all the steps for resubmitting the FAFSA.
- Uploading your documents is easy! Click here for more information.
- Drop off in person to the Student Finance Office located in Wright Hall, the administration building in the center of campus.