Hawaii - Mauna Loa School
Mauna Loa School exists to provide quality Christian education to a diverse student body.
Mauna Loa School is a small K-8 school located on the leeward coast of the Big Island of Hawai'i. This location is a wonderful fit for those who are passionate about spreading God’s love to children and want to experience a new culture.
- Average Fundraising Goal: Prices may vary. ~$500. See Student Missions Office.
- Timeline: The school year begins in late August and staff are expected to arrive a couple weeks early for planning and preparation. SM’s are generally required to come for the entirety of a school year and stay a week or two after school ends to aid in cleanup and other tasks. SM’s also have the option of returning home for Christmas break.
- Location: Hilo, Hawai’i is a town on the northeastern coast of the Big Island of Hawai’i. The vibrant community hosts multiple festivals and events celebrating the Hawaiian culture. Weekly farmers markets sell tropical produce, local foods, and handmade goods. Further up the Hamakua coast are beautiful waterfalls and cliffside vistas. South of Hilo is the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and the windward side of the island boasts world renowned beaches. Check out the location on Google Maps!
- Living Accommodations: Missionary’s housing is provided and is conveniently located near the school. They can expect to live with 1-2 other staff and potentially a host family. The housing will include a kitchen area with a fridge, sink, stove, and sufficient storage.
- Language: English
- Food: Student missionaries (SM's) are responsible for their own meals. The school is located in town and many eateries are close enough to buy food during lunch break and return to work. Groceries can be purchased at a local Walmart, Target, Safeway, or a Costco located on the other side of the island (about a 2 hour drive away). Weekly Sabbath potlucks usually yield many leftovers that church members are happy to leave in the shared church/school fridge for SM’s to eat in the following week. You will find that the community is full of the Aloha spirit and is very generous and giving.
- Requirements: There are no strict requirements for travel documentation as Hawai’i is a state. The positions also don’t require a specific major or degree; however, an interest, experience, or degree in elementary education would be preferred.
- Teacher's Assistant - 1-2 Teacher’s assistant positions are available at this location. These staff members are expected to help in the classrooms with teaching, grading, tutoring, etc. Additional responsibilities include basic housekeeping (cleaning the cafeteria and bathrooms), and managing the after-school care program on a rotating schedule.
(Click to enlarge)
Student Mission Year - Part One
Learn more about the SM's experience in Hawaii
Interested in Hawaii?
Apply for your preferred position at least four months before you plan to serve, though spots may be available up until a month before departure.