Indonesia Study Tour 2023
About the trip
The 2023 Study Tour to Indonesia provides international business majors, business students, other SAU students, and interested friends of SAU, an opportunity to personally relate to business and life issues rising from a major Asian economic player. The 2023 tour will be the first time we travel to Asia with Southwestern Adventist University, an alliance partner.
To expose Business students to indigenous Asian cultures, history, literature, economics, business, and politics. Experiencing this context first-hand influences a society's definition of success and meaningfulness of life.
Visit businesses in various major urban centers (Manado/Bitung, Jakarta, Surabaya, Denpasar)
- Financial services – overview of financial instruments and services used by Indonesian corporations and small business.
- Marketing – what marketing approaches are used, both traditional and social media, the impact of culture and values on advertising and promotion practices.
- Manufacturing – possibly more than one manufacturing facility to observe and understand operational approaches, HR practices, quality control, and supply chain issues. In addition, we hope to explore issues related to contractual and licensed manufacturing for Western brands.
- International communication protocol and practices through the interaction with Indonesian business people.
- Explore survival and thriving strategies of businesses during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Places of worship to observe religious activities.
- Universities to interact with local students.
- Natural sites – e.g. Bunaken island (diving), Mount Bromo (volcano)
- Urban & rural life.
- Historical places – e.g. Borobudur temple
- Cultural displays e.g. Balinese or Javanese music/opera show.
- Marketplaces – where cross-cultural communication can be practiced
- Visit SDA institutions and churches while discovering how the SDA church introduced the gospel to the largest Islamic nation in the world.
May 14 to June 2, 2023
December 2, 2022 - Application & $500 deposit deadline
January 27, 2023 - All trip fees due
Approximately $6000/person (Southern Students)
Approximately $6,500/person (Southwestern Students)
* All air and ground travel (and airport taxes)
* Visa fees for Indonesia
* Accomodations & two meals/day
* Tips for Indonesia-based guides and drivers
* Entrance fees to planned sites
* Basic travel & health insurance
We will enhance the educational experience with Indonesian business meetings and daily debriefing meetings where we will review events, observations, and experiences of each day. Students will be expected to keep a daily structured journal to provide evidence for a grade. Up to six course credits will be available:
BUAD493 International Business Communication
(3 credit hours)
BUAD294/494/594 Business Administration Int. Study Tour
(3 credit hours)
How to Sign Up
1) Pay the $500 non-refundable deposit to the cashier of your
respective university and obtain a receipt.
2) Fill out the digital application below and be sure to enter
the receipt number off of the receipt you will receive from
the cashier's office.
3) Make sure to upload a digital copy of your passport on the
For More Information
Southern Adventist University
School of Business
Collegedale, TN 37363
Southwestern Adventist University
Pechero Hall #211
Keene, Texas 76059
Photo: Sekumpul Waterfall, Bali