Class Mailing Lists
A mailing list is automatically generated for every class in session, with the instructor
as the list administrator (using the southern.edu email address).
Using a Mailing List
The class lists changed slightly in August 2016. The mailing list email addresses have been extended to include the semester. This provides the option to email current, future and former classes (current and ±1 semester). Please update any address book entries or bookmarks to point to the new platform, "say.southern.edu"
- To send a message to the list, address an email using the class code (including hyphens and the section letter), like this: ART-000-A-F17@say.southern.edu
- Students may "reply all" to send to the list, but email from other senders is held for instructor approval. Instructors receive email notification when an message awaits approval.
To customize list settings:
- Go to http://say.southern.edu/mailman/admin/ENGL-000-A-F17 (substituting the appropriate class code).
- Log in using the instructor's I.D. number as the initial password. (You may change the password, as well as other settings after logging in.)
- Choose your preferred maximum message size, header and footer settings, and other variables.
Troubleshooting Undelivered Messages
What address is in the "from" field?
Messages must be sent with a southern.edu email address in the "from" field. You can verify your "from" address by sending an email to yourself. If it is not your southern.edu address and you do not know how to change it, you can send your message using WebMail.
Is the message too long?
Long messages may not go through automatically, depending on the size-limit settings. If it's not possible to shorten the message (such as when files or photos are attached), messages must be manually approved.
Approving a Message
Most "normal" messages do not require instructor approval. For exceptions, follow these steps to approve a message:
- Log in at http://say.southern.edu/mailman/admin/ENGL-000-A-F17 (substituting the appropriate class code).
- Click Tend to Pending Administrative Requests to approve long messages or messages from addresses that are not on the class mailing list.