Since homeschool programs vary widely, a few additional steps are necessary for determining scholarship qualification and academic placement to help ensure your best success.
In addition to meeting the general requirements for admission, homeschool students must submit an academic portfolio documenting their academic experience.
- Academic Transcript: Submit an official transcript from a correspondence school, if applicable.
Students taught partially or completely at home must submit a transcript of class work for the entire high school experience. Include course description, date the course was taken, and final grade (e.g. Algebra I, Fall 02, B+). The homeschool transcript must show the graduation date and be signed and dated by a parent.
- Personal Statement: Submit a statement describing the value of your homeschool experience.
Mail academic portfolios to:
Southern Adventist University
PO Box 542
Collegedale, TN 37315-0370
Recommended Homeschool Sequence
- 9th grade: Algebra I, English I, Religion, Physical Science, Foreign Language I, Computer Literacy
- 10th grade: Geometry, English II, Religion, World History, Biology, Foreign Language II
- 11th grade: Algebra II, English III, Religion, Chemistry, U.S. History
- 12th grade: Pre-Calculus, English IV, Religion, Physics, Government or Economics, Health
CREDIT FROM OTHER COLLEGES
College-level courses presented on a transcript from an accredited college are usually accepted. College preparatory courses, remedial courses, and credits presented on high school or homeschool transcripts are not accepted. Southern Adventist University is not a member of the International Baccalaureate program.
As a residential university, Southern's minimum-age requirement is 17. Exceptions are rare.
Interviews are not required for admission to Southern, but we strongly recommend that you meet with an enrollment counselor if you have any questions.