1098-T Tax Statements

The 1098-T statement is now available online!

IMPORTANT:  1098T TAX FORMS ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY (no physical statement will be mailed).

*If you desire a paper form to be mailed to you please email billing-collections@southern.edu, please include your current mailing address. 

Blank statements?  Viewing the 1098-T Statement requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.x or higher.

Each browser has its own settings to control how PDFs open from a web page. Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC do not include a preference setting to open web-based PDFs. To change the display behavior, follow the instructions below for your browser, or see the browser documentation on how to control plug-ins or add-ons.


Where do I access my 1098T form online?

Please log into www.southern.edu/pay as a student or authorized user to access your statements and tax forms. 

I am a parent or authorized user and I do not see the 1098T statement

Although your student may have granted you access to view all other documents through the online system, viewing the 1098T Statement online requires authorization from the student.  Have your student log on to www.southern.edu/pay and under My Account, click on the Authorized Users menu, select the authorized user and click the edit option.  Update the authorization check box to Yes to grant access to view the 1098T's statement.  Log back in to the authorized user account to view the statement.


What is a 1098-T Tax statement?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment status, amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants.  A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student.

Why do I receive a 1098-T?

This IRS Form 1098-T is for all students who had qualified tuition and other related educational expenses charged and paid to them during the previous calendar year.

Why would I not receive a 1098-T?

One potential reason for not receiving a 2019 1098-T is that there were no reportable transactions during the tax (calendar) year. Another possible reason is Southern Adventist University is only required to provide a 1098-T to students that are U.S. citizens.

The amount in Box 1 is either blank or much less than was paid, can I have a corrected form?

For a payment to appear in Box 1, there MUST be a qualified expense charged during the same tax year. Amounts reported in Box 1 reflect payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE).  If your student registered in 2019 for classes that began in January, 2020, any amount paid in 2020 would be excluded from Box 1 due to the charges occurring in a prior tax year.  

Why is Box 2 blank?

Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, Southern Adventist University reports in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year. This means Box 2 will always be empty.

How did Southern Adventist University figure out what amounts to include Box 5? 

Box 5 includes scholarships, grants and, if applicable, payments made by a third party under formal billing arrangements (i.e. outside scholarships, employer provided educational assistance, military, etc). Third party payments do not include payments made by the student, parent or other individuals.

I am not a U.S. citizen, can I still receive a 1098-T?

Yes, a 1098-T can be issued to you. However, it is not done automatically like U.S. citizens. To request a 1098-T, please email billing-collections@southern.edu. You MUST have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN) in order to receive a 1098-T.

How do I use this information when I do my taxes?

Southern Adventist University cannot offer tax advice.  Please consult with a Certified Public Accountant or qualified tax professional for any tax questions or advice.

For questions regarding the content of the 1098-T statements, please refer to the FAQs list above.  If you need further assistance, you may contact our team at studentfinance@southern.edu.