Students with Documented Disabilities
Due to the current circumstances, the size of our office, and the rush of LOAs, each
semester brings, in an effort to keep everyone safe, we are asking students to, please
call, or email to schedule in-person, telephone, or zoom appointments.
Accommodations are provided only after completion of the following steps:
- Submittal of disability documentation to Disability Support Services (DSS). See Guidelines below.
- DSS application forms to initiate services are completed and submitted to DSS.
- The Disability Services Administrator (DSA) reviews documentation.
- The Accommodations Committee meets and reaches a decision regarding student's request for accommodations.
- Student meets with the DSA to discuss the committee's decision.
- For approved accommodations, Letters of Accommodations (LOA) are prepared for each professor.
- Student picks up their LOAs and delivers them to their professor(s).
- Student discusses with each professor how and/or whether approved accommodations can be administered.
*Please note that while a student may request accommodations at any point in the semester, the process takes time so students are encouraged to initiate the process as soon as possible.
Policies and Procedures
- Know your rights and responsibilities- Office of Civil Rights
- Association on Higher Education and Disability
- Recorded books Learning Ally
- E-texts from Bookshare (free membership)
- Free downloadable text-to-speech software Natural Reader
- Free downloadable text-to-speech software for Windows: NVDA
- Vocational Rehabilitation offices—state liaisons http://rsa.ed.gov/people.cfm
- SmartPen by Livescribe—makes audio recordings while writing notes Livescribe
- Student Success Disability Page Student Success
- Brochure for Parents (and other interested parties) Section 504
- Learning Disabilities in School, College, and Work LD.org