Metabolic Efficiency Study
The Metabolic Efficiency Study at Southern Adventist University is recruiting research subjects to start right away. The purpose of the study is to investigate efficiencies in healthy weight loss.
All research subjects get extensive metabolic testing at the beginning and at the end of the 10-week program. We evaluate:
- Resting metabolic rate
- Body composition (measured by the bod pod)
- Test to measure fuel used during exercise
Everyone is given a plant-based whole foods diet specific for her energy balance. Each volunteeer will be randomized into one of three groups. One group will do diet and exercise. Another group will do the diet only. And another group will do neither. Participants then have weekly weight checks until the end of the ten weeks, when the tests are repeated.
There is no charge to participate in the program as long as certain research criteria are met. If someone does not fit the criteria, we may be able to help, but there will be a fee involved.
Research subjects must be:
- Women ages 25-54
- Body mass index of 25-35 (Calculate this here)
- Not taking insulin or thyroid medication
- Willing to follow a plant-based whole foods diet for 10 weeks
- Not already exercising more than three times per week
- Willing and able to wear a heart rate monitor and come to the lab for weekly checks